Thursday, October 20, 2011

What's for Dinner--Potato Garbanzo Curry

This was another recipe that my kids liked as soon as they tried it. I've had several requests from my husband and kids to make this again. This is from The Green Smoothie Girl's 12 Steps to Whole Foods. By the way, I've noticed that the organic canned garbanzo beans taste a lot better than the regular ones for just a few cents more.

Potato Garbanzo Curry

1 1/2 C dry garbanzo beans (I used 2 cans)
1 C brown rice, uncooked (I used several cups cooked)
4 C water
2 yellow onions, chopped (I used sweet onions, and I added 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper, chopped)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
4 cups chopped new red potatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (no rapeseed oil/corn syrup/sugar added)
2 Tbsp Thai red curry paste (I used about half this because I was afraid it would be spicy and I didn't want to scare off my kids :) )
1/4 cup molasses

Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans and brown rice together, and then soak them in water overnight. Drain well. Bring 4 cups water to boil, add beans and rice, then reduce heat and simmer for 50-60 minutes until the water is absorbed. (I skipped this whole step and used already cooked ingredients.)

Sauté the onions in the oil until tender, add the spices and potatoes (and peppers if using) and sauté together briefly. Add broth, 1/2 cup water, and salt. Simmer until potatoes are tender. (She says about 30 minutes. Mine took more like 15, but my pots cook faster.)

Add garbanzo, rice, peanut butter, curry paste, and molasses and heat through. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about the organic garbanzo beans. I keep trying garbanzos for my family, maybe because they are awesome little things that are fun to bite into, and partly because it is so fun to say "garbanzo". Alas, the other members of the family haven't bought into the idea of eating them. I'll definitely try the organic ones and see if that makes any difference.

    ReplyDelete