Saturday, July 23, 2011

What are your favorite kitchen tools?

Konnie wanted to know what your favorite kitchen gadgets are. Here are some of mine:

Vidalia Chop Wizard
https://www.chopwizard.com/

We love our chop wizard. We use it almost every day.It makes chopping and dicing so much faster. Fresh foods like salads, pico de gallo, hawaiian haystacks,and stirfry all become really fast and easy with this tool. I've always hated chopping onions, so much that I would use dried, minced onions in most recipes, but now we use fresh onions all the time. There's a video on the website that shows how easy it is to use. I highly recommend this tool to everyone.

Vitamix

We use our vitamix every day. It's great for non-dairy milks, green smoothies, or fruit smoothies, fruit leather, soups, baby food, salsa, dips, dressings, pancake or waffle batter, desserts, nut butters, and whole grain flour or nut flour. It's a very, very powerful blender, and it can handle jobs that would burn out most other blenders. I've heard the Blendtec blender is another good brand for a high speed blender.

A good set of knives

Every whole foods cook book I've read says one of the most important tools you can own for a whole foods lifestyle is a good knife. Our favorite brand so far has been JA Henckels. They slice through vegetables like a hot knife through butter. They make cooking with whole foods faster and easier.

Waterless cookware

We love our stainless steel "Waterless" cookware. They sell pots like this for thousands of dollars, but we got our set for a few hundred online. They are heavy duty pots, with a lid that develops a tight seal during cooking to create a high pressure environment. Foods cook faster with less water,which means you retain more of the nutrition. For example, brown rice usually takes 45-55 minutes to cook. After my water heats up, it takes 20 minutes in my pot. Also, some say teflon coating and aluminum in other pots release toxins into our food. The surgical stainless steel pots don't have that problem.

Pampered Chef garlic press

I love how with this garlic press, I can put a whole clove of garlic in, skin and all, and have fresh minced garlic in a couple seconds. Garlic adds a lot of great flavor to whole foods.

Citrus press and zester

Citrus is is another great food that adds lots of flavor, so I love my citrus press and my zester.

A few other tools that I love are:

food processor, mandolin, apple peeler/corer/slicer, apple slicer/corer, popsicle molds, and stainless steel cookie sheets.

What are your favorite kitchen gadgets?

1 comment:

  1. My favorites? Bosch mixer. Used almost daily. I also use my bread canvas--homemade--nearly every day. A good food processor, used mainly for making crackers and tortillas more that chopping veggies or fruit.

    ReplyDelete