Monday, May 23, 2011

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Potato Salad

This is a meal that our family enjoys. I've combined several recipes, and added some twists of my own, and I still think I can make it better, but that said, it's really good. I hesitated to share it because I have no real measurements, but I hope it's not too hard to throw together.

We steam several diced potatoes,about one potato per person, more or less. Then I chop a mix of most of the veggies in our fridge. Usually we use carrots, celery, green pepper, green onion, cucumber, sugar snap peas, and broccoli. I think we've added tomato and radish before. Just about anything is good, but the ones I mentioned first are our basics. I drain and rinse 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), and mix those with the potatoes and veggies. Then I make a dressing. Last time we made this was the first I tried to make a vegan version of our old dressing. The kids liked it better than the old version with mayonnaise. I made a vinaigrette with about half a cup of grape seed oil, a fourth to a half a cup of apple cider vinegar, about a fourth a cup of organic mustard (the condiment, not the spice), and about a tablespoon of dry dill.

It tasted so good, my daughter asked for extra dressing to dip potatoes in, but I think the mustard and vinegar were a little stronger than I'd like. If you try it and tweak the recipe, I'd love to hear your changes. I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment