Monday, January 9, 2012

What's for Breakfast -- Chia Pudding

This probably sounds weird to anyone who isn't familiar with the latest health craze--chia seeds. I mean, who wants to eat a Chia Pet, right? But they're really good, and here are some reasons to enjoy them (according to several websites):

-may help control blood sugar
-high in protein
-high in omega-3's
-may help with weight loss
-the word "chia" means strength because chias are considered a high-energy food
-more antioxidants than fresh blueberries
-high in fiber and nutrients like calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium

When chia seeds get wet, they form a gel coating around the seed, which gives soaked chias a tapioca pudding-like texture. If you google chia pudding recipes, you will find everything from Mint Chocolate Chip Chia Pudding to Strawberry Ginger Chia Pudding to Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding. I can post any of those if they sound interesting to you. I thought I'd just post a basic recipe here today.

Chia Pudding

1/4 chia seeds
1/4 non-dairy (or dairy if you prefer) milk

Mix and let sit for at least 20 minutes. Most recipes recommend overnight.

I added a dash of vanilla extract and a dash of cinnamon. I left mine sweetened only with homemade almond milk, but most recipes recommend adding sweetener such as 1/2 banana (mashed), 1 Tbsp maple syrup, agave or stevia to taste. Also, many add fresh, dried, or frozen fruit, or top with coconut flakes or chopped nuts. My baby loved it so much, she asked me to make a second batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment